Sunday, May 7, 2017

Currents4Kids

A Race to the Finish!

On Currents4Kids I decided to read the story "A race to the finish". This is a story about the Barkley Marathon supposedly the toughest marathon on earth.

As is states in the text "The Barkley is a 160-kilometre cross-country race". Since this race is so difficult you are not racing other people that try it you are racing the clock. You get 60 hours to complete the cross country race. There have been 32 people that have attempted the race and only 15 people have completed the race successfully.

In this story it is explaining the journey of Mr. Robbins. He has attempted and failed the race twice and still is determined to do it until he can finish.

From this I have learned that giving up is not the answer. In the second race that he attempted he was nearly second away from completing the race. But about 5 minutes away from the finish line there was lots of fog and he took a wrong tern. As a result of this he went on the wrong path. Which he realized seconds after because there were stairs. But he new that even though he had not gone in the correct direction that he could attempt to still beat the clock. But he was just 6 seconds too late.

In result of this I also learned that failure is present in our lives but when we let failure overcome the things we love most there will be no room for success. I learned this because this man set out a goal for himself he will not let failure stop him from overcoming this goal of finishing the Barkley Marathon.

I also found this website that says all of the dates when people attempted the Barkley marathon. It explains there challenges, what happened, did they complete it , and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment